Replacing Cigarettes with Better Alternatives
The wonderful thing about the world we live in today is that we are spoiled for choice. Regardless of what we are interested in, a simple search online will bring up various options for us to explore and choose from. And yes, even for an adult smoker who would otherwise continue to smoke or use other nicotine products and interested in exploring other tobacco products as a replacement for cigarettes, there are plenty of options to delve into.
If you are an adult smoker looking to replace cigarettes, here are some helpful things about cigarette alternatives.
What are the different options for smoking alternatives?
E-cigarettes are one of the alternatives to cigarettes. They do not contain tobacco, but rather use e-liquids that are generally flavoured. The e-liquids are heated in order to generate an aerosol or what some users may call, vapour. There is a very wide range of e-cigarettes and e-liquids on the market, all with varying performance.
There is also another type of category of tobacco which is an alternative to cigarettes, called “heat-not-burn”, or heated tobacco, which uses real tobacco that’s specially processed. Innovative technology heats the tobacco in the device to a specific temperature, which means there’s nothing being lit with fire.
Therefore, both e-cigarettes and heated tobacco products are smoke-free. The IQOS device is an example of a heat-not-burn alternative to smoking. Developed by Philip Morris International, IQOS utilizes a smart technology called HeatControl™ to precisely control the heating temperature of specially designed tobacco sticks, called HEETS.
How IQOS is heated tobacco different to smoking cigarettes?
The most important difference between IQOS and cigarettes is this: IQOS eliminates combustion. While IQOS is not risk-free and does deliver nicotine, which is addictive, IQOS heated tobacco is a better choice than continuing to smoke cigarettes.
This is how it works: The lit end of cigarettes can reach temperatures around and above 600 degrees C as the tobacco burns – or, combusts. Combustion produces over 6,000 chemicals. On the other hand, IQOS only heats the tobacco up to 350 degrees C, which stops the tobacco from burning.
Using IQOS as an alternative to smoking cigarettes has several benefits:
1. No smoke: Unlike cigarettes, IQOS does not produce smoke, but rather, a tobacco vapour.
- Reduced emissions: IQOS emits 95% less harmful chemicals compared to cigarettes*.
* “95% less” represents the average reductions in levels of a range of harmful chemicals (excluding nicotine) compared to the smoke of a reference cigarette (3R4F). See Important Information on IQOS.com
*”95% less” represents the average reductions in levels of a range of harmful chemicals (excluding nicotine) compared to the smoke of a reference cigarette (3R4F). See Important Information on IQOS.com
No ash: Since IQOS does not burn tobacco, it also does not produce ash.
4. Convenience: The tobacco vapour produced by IQOS dissipates more quickly than cigarette smoke.
- Less smell: IQOS leaves less lingering smell on your hands, hair, clothes and is also less likely to bother people around you.
6. No staining on fingers: IQOS will not stain your fingers the way cigarettes do.
Switching completely to IQOS is less harmful than continuing to smoke**.
Important information: IQOS is not risk-free. It delivers nicotine, which is addictive.
* Source: Based on the totality of evidence available for IQOS in comparison with continuing to smoke.